Tuesday, February 20, 2007

If loving her is wrong, I don't want to be right

My favorite singer if all time is (and always has been) Barbara Mandrell. The first song I ever called a radio station to request was a Barbara Mandrell song called "Wish You Were Here". That song came from her "Live" album, the first music album that I ever owned. So today's success holds a lot of special meaning to me.

Barbara Mandrell - Sent: 10/26/06 Received: 2/20/07. This past October I had the chance to talk with Barbara on the telephone. Following that (great) conversation I sent her a thank you letter with a CD insert and a 12" vinyl album cover of her "Live" album (which has never been available on CD) requesting an autograph. Today both came back with one of the nicest inscriptions I've ever received on the album cover. Barbara Mandrell has had several huge hit songs such as "Sleeping Single In A Double Bed", "I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool", "If Loving You is Wrong, I Don't Want To be Right" and "You Can Eat Crackers In My Bed Anytime" and hosted a very successful TV variety series in the early 1980's with her sisters.


(above) the new tribute CD (today's artists singing her classic songs) and (below) her 1981 "Live" album. (Sorry all of it wouldn't fit on my scanner). Click to enlarge either.


"To my special, wonderful friend Ryan, I wish you the very best! Love, Barbara Mandrell" is inscribed on a copy of the very first record album I ever owned.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a HUGE Barbara Mandrell fan, too, and have been for 30 years! I was a junior and senior in high school when her TV show was on, and when it ended (including reruns) around the time I went away to college, it was like I was leaving behind yet another person/thing I'd miss while away! I moved to Nashville, TN, in 1986 and have been fortunate enough to meet Barbara and be around her on several occasions, and she is the same in person as she is on TV! Very kind and caring and good-hearted.

Always glad to meet another fan!

Paula
Nashville, TN

4:27 PM  
Blogger Jim Quinton said...

Congrats on the Barbara autographs, the one on the LP cover is priceless. :-)

5:31 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Wow, Ryan, you always get the good ones. I met Barbara once years ago when I was in high school on vacation in Tennessee. I agree. She was super nice. Congrats.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home