Monday, April 10, 2006

Famous since 9 weeks old

It has felt like forever since I've worked on the blog, which is due to no successes coming in. Finally 10 days into the month I received my first for April today. One with historical timing.

Millvina Dean - Sent: 3/20/06 Received: 4/10/06. I remember the first time I ever learned about the Titanic. It was a TV movie that was on while I was at a relatives house. It peaked a curiosity (that many share) that still exists to this day to learn more about that fateful evening. In the very early hours of April 15, 1912 on a chilly morning, nine week old baby Elizabeth Gladys "Millvina" Dean, her brother and her mother (third class passengers) left the Titanic and boarded lifeboat #13. Millvina would become the youngest survivor of the disaster while her father's body would never be recovered. Today there are three living survivors from the Titanic, with Millvina being the only one that will participate in any Titanic related activities or honor autograph requests. It wasn't an easy letter to write but an autograph that I think is very special in my collection. This Saturday marks the 94th anniversary of Titanic's sinking.



"To Ryan, with best wishes from Millvina Dean, youngest Titanic survivor" is inscribed on this photo of the famous ship. Click here for a brief bio on Millvina Dean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home